Kadaupan Medical Mission 2011

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 Nicajoice 0 Comments

Last Feb. 12, I had the chance to be a part of the annual medical mission organized by Kadaupan, an organization composed of Dominican brothers and lay members. I actually didn’t know how I could help in that activity until the day itself. I was assigned in the Pediatrics Team with two doctors and two other volunteers. I had a minimal task, but since it was the most I could do, I tried doing it well.

We arrived at Pakil, Laguna at around 8 in the morning. A few minutes later, town residents started coming in. Mothers brought their kids and had them checked by our volunteer doctors. I made sure that the flow of patients coming in and out was organized. I also wrote the patients’ names in the prescription pad beforehand to spare the doctors from spending so much time writing and figuring out the correct spelling of their names. That way, consultations were a lot faster.

It was my first time to join a medical mission and it was such a humbling and rewarding experience. I thought, only doctors and nurses could be of much help to such kind of event but I realized that even someone without a medical background could do something. I felt glad when one mother said, “Buti na lang maraming nag-a-assist ngayon”. Somehow, they made me realize my worth in that mission. J The residents were very grateful for the help extended to them, saying they are only visited by doctors and given medical attention during campaign periods and election time. They were so happy with our presence that they didn’t mind waiting in line for hours. When I would glance at them, they would flash humble smiles not minding their grumbling stomach or their kids’ tantrums. They were simply glad for a chance to talk to a physician and get some free medicine.

It was a day I would never forget. Because it was then that I proved once again that it is always better to lend a helping hand… that we can do small deeds to slowly turn this world into a better place…that people are truly good at heart…that God is within our midst, helping us through people like dedicated doctors and nurses and selfless ordinary citizens who are willing to go out of their way to bless many.

0 comments: