13th Class. First Teacher. 13th 수업, 첫번째 선생님

Monday, August 08, 2011 Nicajoice 0 Comments


I had a feeling there wouldn’t be a 13th class (Not that the number is jinxed, hello?!). :D We started way too late for our usual sched but it pushed through, nevertheless. Our class started unusually late because I attended an ordination – it’s when an individual is consecrated to a life of celibacy, charity and poverty (priesthood) and “marries” Christ. It is like a wedding ceremony without a bride. I actually invited my teacher to witness it (but was a bit half-hearted since he’s not a Catholic and may not appreciate the significance of the event). He told me he would try to make it, but last Friday, he regretfully informed me that he couldn’t go because he was in a club, partying with friends and he’d surely sleep late so he wouldn’t have the energy to wake up early in time for the 2 o’clock ceremony. Well, excuses, excuses.

And by the way, he kept me waiting (again) for one hour and thirty minutes. So, he didn’t have a choice but to buy me a slice of oreo cheesecake to make up for it. I was happy! Dessert in class for the first time ever! I wish he’d often come to class late. Because the last time he was, he paid for our dinner! Haha (I'm keeping my fingers crossed!) It really pays to be on time.

Anyway, here are some important things I learned that night:

-여행을 하려고 기차표를샀습니다 (yeohaeng-eul halyeogo gichapyoleul sassseumnida )
is the same as
여행을
하기 위해서 기차표를 샀습니다 (yeohaeng-eul hagi wihaeseo gichapyoleul sassseumnida).
Both mean "I bought a train ticket to go on a trip."
infinitive: ~하려고 or ~하기 위해서

-There is a difference in the use of the particles (subject) ~께 and (subject) ~께서
examples:
할아버지께
신문을 주세요. (hal-abeojikke sinmun-eul juseyo.) Give Grandpa the newspaper. (The speaker is somebody else, say, your mom).
할아버지께서
신문을 주세요. (hal-abeojikkeseo sinmun-eul juseyo.) Give Grandpa (me) the newspaper. (The speaker is grandpa himself).

- I was able to write the following sentences (as answers to the following TOPIK questions)
가장
좋아하는 친구는누구입니까? 그 친구는 무엇을 합니까? 왜 그 친구를 좋아합니까?
(gajang joh-ahaneun chinguneunnugu-ibnikka? geu chinguneun mueos-eul habnikka? wae geu chinguleul joh-ahabnikka?)
Who is your favorite friend? What does he do? Why do you like him?
*내가 가장 좋아하는 친구는 ___ 입니다. 그는 학생 입니다. 나는 그가 친절하고 현명하기 때문에 좋습니다.
(naega gajang joh-ahaneun chinguneun ___ ibnida. geuneun hagsaeng ibnida. naneun geuga chinjeolhago hyeonmyeonghagi ttaemun-e johseubnida.)
My favorite friend is _____. He is a student. I like him because he’s kind and smart.

There were other gazillion things to take note of. And I just wish I could retain all of the stuff I learned. Learning is truly fun although it can be stressful at times.

On the other hand, I was trying to explain the words corny, cheesy and mushy to my teacher. But he couldn’t seem to grasp the idea even though I tried giving a few examples. He immediately dismissed the subject thinking that it wouldn’t be of any use. But, I’m sure he’ll stumble upon those words sooner or later. So, does anyone know the Korean equivalent of the words “corny”, “cheesy” and “mushy”? :D

0 comments: