14th Class. First Teacher. 14th 수업, 첫번째 선생님

Friday, September 02, 2011 Nicajoice 0 Comments

This class (has been) is the longest ever! We started at 2pm and finished at 12 midnight.

cups of coffee..
four donuts..
12-inch pizza..
250-gram steak with aglio olio pasta and shrimps..
panna cotta..
more cups of coffee..


This was the amount of food needed by two people who sat together for ten hours to study. Cramming stuff in our heads made us super hungry.

We studied, talked about anything and everything under the sun, laughed like no one was watching (or listening), then studied, talked and laughed some more.

It wasn't entirely about grammar...pronunciation...vocabulary...or sentence structure. It was learning about life. And how the same things may sometimes be viewed differently by two people who grew up from different cultural backgrounds. It was fun! And I realized, it is such a rare opportunity to have conversations with someone who has valuable insights and who is able to express them despite language barriers and cultural differences.

That night I learned...
- that my teacher is quite inspiring! In countless ways, he is inspiring!
- that we may not be aware of it, but unconsciously we do things that bless other people and they cherish it. Thus, we should always grab the chance to bless someone's life. And to be told that somehow you have made a difference, is something that money can't ever buy.
- that there is a perfect timing to everything. Sometimes, we just have to hold back, and wait for the right moment to say whatever it is that we want to express.
- that food bonds people.
- that it's great to listen and to be heard.
- that I am so lucky and so blessed.

I don't remember any of the Korean expressions or words I learned that night. I am not even sure if I studied well. But then, I know that whatever I've learned in our second to the last class is engraved in my mind and in my heart.


0 comments: