Blessed by a "Caring Group"

Monday, September 06, 2010 Nicajoice 2 Comments

I fear rejection.
I am not perky and cheerful,
so I don’t easily gain friends.
I tend to be quiet during first encounters,
I don’t initiate conversations, unless I have to.
At first glance, a lot of people think I’m a snob.
I am conscious of what other people might say about me.
I easily get uncomfortable when I have to face people I barely know.

So, I don’t normally join a new crowd.
I’ve experienced being bullied and be laughed at…
have felt out of place because I simply don’t belong.
I tried to fit in but they wanted me to change and be just like them.

But God wants me to grow.
Like a father, He wants me to come out of my comfort zone.
He wants me to realize that I need not live in isolation, always fearful of the unknown.
He wants me to appreciate life through other people – with their own set of strengths and weaknesses.

So God lead me to my “Caring Group”.
A group of people just like me. Not “exactly” like me,
but a set of people with fears just like my own fears.
Mistakes just like my own mistakes. Dreams just like my own dreams.
Hopes just like my own hopes. And prayers just like my own prayers.

And they don’t judge me.
I can freely express what I feel.
With them, I can be my true self.
They see the goodness in every situation.
They help me see the blessing in my suffering, the grace in my pains.

As we share our own experiences,
our every day struggles, our past, and our plans for the future,
we get to know each other deeply, and we get to know the truth
that as much as we are the same,we also have our differences.
Our group is not without flaws, conflict or its own shortcomings.
We, as individuals, are in constant search of our true place here on Earth – of our ultimate purpose.

In this caring group, we seek to be in deeper relationship with each other -
understanding where each of us is coming from and appreciating the good in each person - and most of all, we aim to be in deeper union with God, not from a standpoint of righteousness but in the very human struggle of becoming what God wants us to be.

I am so glad I came out of my comfort zone; for I am so blessed by this Caring Group.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely and wonderful insights straight from the heart, Joyce!!
    True, we may have differences as we all have different personalities. But we learn from each other's mistakes and suggestions and our underlying bond that ties us together is our love for the Lord, and love for each other as God's family. I have come to love each and every one of you as my own brothers and sisters. (even if i don't really have a brother hehe!)
    You have quite a talent in expressing yourself out in writing. I personally think you should continue to use your God-given talent that others may see the beauty and wisdom that the Lord brings through your writings! Keep up the good work, sis! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for reading this blog entry. What I wrote is not enough to express how blessed I am for having met each one of you. It’s rare for me to feel comfortable in a new group from the very beginning. What I found in this caring group is more than just a breathing space from my usual daily challenges; I found a safe refuge in your company.  It is also my hope to be able to inspire people through my writings; make them feel that living is so much beautiful when we are in the warmth of God’s embrace.

    ReplyDelete