(Today's Learning) Dyslexia
Today's Learning: DyslexiaLast night, Gaze (friend and housemate) and I talked about how her Korean student seems to have a hard time reading English words. I told her that she should teach him basic phonetics first. Then we thought that the child might have Dyslexia just like Cameron Diaz' character Maggie in the movie "In Her Shoes" (from a novel of the same title).
One scene from the movie showed Maggie having a hard time reading her spiels in an MTV VJ audition. Growing up, she thought she's plain dumb, she wasn't aware that she had a kind of disorder that could have a remedy.
So, we thought, what really is Dyslexia? What's the cause and how can it be treated? I told Gaze I'd do a research about that. And here's what I found out:
Dyslexia, also called as Developmental Reading Disorder, is a reading disabilityresulting from the inabilityof the brain to process graphic symbols, it is not caused by vision problems.
Children with Dyslexia may have a hard time "rhyming and separating the sounds in spoken words". This is very critical in developing one's ability to read, thus, understanding sentences can be a great problem to a child/person with Dyslexia. But it doesn't mean that a person is dumb when he or she has Dyslexia, he can still have normal or above average intelligence.
As mentioned earlier, this condition can be treated. A child just have to practice reading more, coupled with support from his/her parents and teachers as well as the provision of a healthy environment.
For more information, click here: https://health.google.com/health/ref/Developmental+reading+disorder
So, that's today's learning for me. Hope you learned something as well. Ciao! :)

0 comments: