the night my bag was snatched

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 Nicajoice 6 Comments


For almost seven months, I have walked the same street that leads to my apartment without a single hint that such a night as that of yesterday could happen. I had a false feeling that my neighborhood was safe. I was going and leaving home even on ungodly hours because I felt free to do so. Until last night when I was shaken from being complacent and reality knocked hard.

I was walking on my usual route to home at around 8:45 pm. I left the office at 8, two hours later than the normal end of my shift because I was preparing my materials for the new-hire training the next day. I was exhausted and so my pace was slower than usual, my mind was somewhere else - I was not aware of my surroundings. The two men on motorcycle might have seen it on my face and deemed that I was the perfect victim.

At 8:49 (as recorded on the CCTV cameras), one of the two men snatched my shoulder bag. For a brief moment, I was stunned! Then it dawned on me - they took my bag and everything that was in it - my cellphone, my wallet and ALL my IDs, my ATM and credit cards, my pens, hand cream, comb, umbrella, face powder, lip gloss, lip stick, blush on (as I am writing this, I am in great shock that all my daily essentials are in that bag!), most of all I have there things (though material ones) that can never be replaced with new ones - my diary and every hidden feelings I wrote in there, pictures, my college ID, and the rosary that was given by a very special person.

I tried to run after them. For a few seconds, I couldn't say a word, but then I was able to shout and ask for help. But it was too late. The robbers had already escaped and the few people who witnessed the incident weren't able to do a thing. I was so helpless and was left in tears.

But then I am grateful to the two women who consoled me and helped me go to the barangay police to report the incident. They reminded me again and again never to walk on the same street by myself and to be extra careful next time. At that time, I also appreciated it more that I am living with a friend. She comforted me and helped me take care of things like blocking my cards and contacting my family. I was  happy that I had someone to lean on. She made things lighter for me and made me laugh in the middle of that crisis.

What happened last night was my closest encounter with people who make a living from such evil means. I was terribly scared. I also felt that life is so unfair because "everything" was taken away from me. I work doubly hard to survive and yet such people exist, people who prey on the innocent so they could live. But come to think of it, it is something that I should be grateful about - I am lucky that I am alive and that I don't have to hurt or cause trouble to others in order to stay alive.

I have also realized that indeed, no matter how much we invest on material possessions, at the end of the day we could still lose them. They are things that do not last and can be taken away from us. Thus, it would be entirely useless to allow our happiness to depend on them.

Before I went to bed, I said a prayer. I prayed for those who snatched my bag - that they may have a change of heart and refrain from doing such evil deeds again. I prayed for my family and friends that they may be protected from those kinds of people. And I thanked the Lord for keeping me unscathed. I was well.

Friends, take extra care wherever you are. Be vigilant, ALWAYS.

6 comments:

  1. You take care always,okie? :) God is good no matter what. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Le... I will. you too, take extra care.. :) see you soon!

      Delete
  2. I"m so sorry and I'm so glad you were okay. How incredibly frightening. How incredibly brave that you were trying to go after them. I am hopeful the police recover some of your belongs and that you get back to a place of feeling more safe in your neighborhood. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia for such nice words... Yes, it was frightening. A reminder for us not to be complacent.. I hope the same things as well. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're okay, but so sorry you had to go through that! Hang in there girl, and I hope you get your stuff back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tyler... thanks! yeah, somehow I'm hoping that I get those things back but it's nearly impossible.. sigh. But, I'm fine with it. :) At least I wasn't hurt. ^^

      Delete