Relocating My Books

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 Nicajoice 0 Comments

"Reading is like dreaming with open eyes." Over the weekend, I had to move to a new "house". Although it was heartbreaking, I didn't have a choice but to pack my things. And the first ones to be boxed were my books.






I have all sorts of books. Some were given as a gift, some I bought brand new while a good number are used ones.

Some of the books I am happy to have a copy of:
 Eclipse; Breaking Dawn (Stephenie Meyer);
Geisha, A Life (A gift from my brother, Erick);
The Confessions of a Shopaholic (Used, Php75.00);
The Millionaire Next Door;
Little Earthuakes; In Her Shoes (Jennifer Weiner, used);
A Walk to Remember (Nicholas Sparks, Lynn's);
The Dead of Night (John Marsden, read this book because of my students - Rachel and Kathy. Used, Php60.00);
 Skipping Christmas (John Grisham, given by Clara);
 Didache 2010 (bought when I started attending the Feast);
Alias (Cathy Hapka. Used, 20.00);
Bridget Jones' Diary (Helen Fielding, used);
No Flying in the House (Betty Brock. A children's book given by Hera);
Lives of Saints (Compiled by Daughters of St. Paul);
The Beatitudes (Segundo Galilea, originally owned by Sr. Angela);
Healing Wounded Emotions (Christmas gift from Ate Jo, my Caring Group Head);
The Truth in Love, Reflections on Christian Morality (Vincent McNamara, originally owned by sr. Camille);
How To Find Your One True Love (Bo Sanchez);
Chicken Soup for the Unsinkable Soul (Jack Canfeld, Mark Victor Hansen & Heather McNamara. A birthday present from my officemates);
Laugh with God Today (Bro. Michael Angelo Lobrin);
Christian Prayer:Liturgy of the Hours (owned by my older brother, handed down to my younger brother then given to me to be kept);
Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Bought it because of the movie Serendipity); Have a Little Faith; For One More Day (Mitch Albom).

While packing, I had to examine each book and in the process, remember some people who (in some ways) have influenced me so much just like the books they have given. I also have this tendency to reminisce things through the scribbles I see on my books, notebooks or anything that one could write on and reread journal entries. And so, for a brief moment, it felt as though time stood still as I was leafing the pages of the books (and journal notebooks) I have collected over the years.

Pictures below are that of the "Liturgy of the Hours". It was originally owned by my older brother, Kuya Eagle, when he entered the seminary in 2004. And it was handed down to my younger brother, Erick when he entered in 2006. I was examining the book and I saw pieces of paper and a bookmark inserted on its pages. Written on the bits of paper were prayer requests from people in the community of Bo. Bucal in Calamba, Laguna. Some were thanksgiving prayers, others were prayers for healing and prayers for the repose of the souls of faithful departed. For these written notes, time stood still, they remained within the pages of the book for years and I do not have the slightest intention to take them away from there..



A fellow blogger wrote that if she could live in a book, she would. And I wonder which story would she love to live. As for me, I think, "Princess Diaries" is a good "life" to live. :D 

The magazines went to the box too! And 90% of my magazines is the award-winning and very much inspiring, Kerygma Magazine. It is the winner of the 2011 CBCP Best Family-Oriented Magazine.

On the cover is Didoy Lubaton. A doctor and preacher in the making. On the left is the first page of the book "Laugh With God Today" signed by the author himself, Bro. Michael Angelo Lobrin.
After the reminiscin' and leafin' over old and torn, new & glossy, biscuit-smelling pages (the ones I love the most) all the books were eventually piled neatly in a medium sized box ready to be moved to the next corner they would occupy. And for sure, in a few more years, a single medium-sized box won't be enough. I am simply bound to get more. To read more.

As they say, you can never have too many books.

0 comments: