Kimbap

Thursday, December 22, 2011 Nicajoice 0 Comments

Kimbap is a popular Korean traditional food. It is often mistaken as Japanese Maki (I guess, among my friends) but they are different because Kimbap is not usually eaten with soy sauce and wasabi (unlike when eating Japanese rolls). “Kim” is the Korean word for sheets of dried laver seaweed, while “bap” is the Korean word for rice. Kimbap is thus a fitting name for this dish because it is rice wrapped in seaweed.

I greatly enjoyed Kimbap from the first time I tasted it so I always looked forward to eating in a Korean restaurant or wished that my student would serve it for dinner. Eating it is just so cute! Plus, it's the only food I can manage to eat with chopsticks! Anyway, One of my students told me that Koreans often prepare Kimbap whenever they go on a picnic and field trips or when couples go on a date.

I’ve wanted to eat Kimbap in a while so I thought of asking my student how to make it.

Here’s her sister’s recipe:

Ingredients: 4 cups of Japanese Rice; 2 tbsp. of sesame oil; 2 tbsp. of vinegar; salt; sugar; Sheets of dried laver seaweed; Meat: Sausages, Crab,Meat, Fish Cake, Vegetables: Cucumber, Carrots, Pickled Radish,  (Danmuji)*Spinach

4 pcs Eggs
Optional:
Cheese (cut into strips)Material:Sushi Mat

2. Mix in a separate bowl the vinegar, sesame oil, salt and sugar. Then pour this mixture into the rice. Mix.
*Pickled radish or Danmuji can be bought at a Korean grocery store already cut into strips – ready for making Kimbap. I was able to buy one pack (15 pcs.) at P104.00 (roughly $2.5).
4. Heat the meat (fish cake, sausages, crab meat) in oil with a dash of salt and cut into strips.
**Break 4 eggs into a bowl, add some pepper and salt then whisk. Pour it in a pan and cook both sides until done. Then cut the egg into strips.

5. When filling is ready, place the sushi mat on top of a chopping board then place the seaweed sheet next and spread rice until the mid section of the seaweed wrapper.
6. Place the fillings in the mid part of the spread rice then roll the mat, pressing the whole thing before rolling the rest of the sheet.

7. Then Cut into equal sizes. Make sure to dip the knife in a bowl of water before cutting through.



Finished Product!
I was so glad when I tasted the Kimbap I made. It tasted exactly like the ones Koreans make. Although it would have been yummier if I added other ingredients like fish cake, crab meat, spinach, carrots, and burdock. My student also suggested to sprinkle sesame seeds on the rolls after slicing for added flavor.

Kimbap is so delicious, healthy and easy to make. Try making your own soon! :) Let me know if you wish to clarify something. ^^

0 comments: