Just B4 I Turn Twenty4

Friday, March 30, 2012 Nicajoice 0 Comments

It's barely two days before my 24th birthday and I can't help it but be a bit emotional. I know, I know that gathering age is a natural part of life but there's really "alarming" about turning twenty-something. I mean, I'm not getting any younger and I feel that I haven't done much, haven't accomplished significant things, haven't gone to new places, haven't saved a thing!  et cetera, et cetera.

But then again, I am constantly reminded that what gives us happiness is the appreciation of the things, people and experiences that we have.

My 23rd year has gone by so swiftly. It has been a year filled with challenges; trials too heavy that I couldn't bear to ignore.  I thought it was the worst year ever.  Yet again, God sends family, friends and even strangers to make life a bit easier and still worth living.

And as I look back, here are the things that my 23-year-old self has learned:

- Love yourself. It's hard. It's always gonna be a struggle. It is a cliche, but others can't love you back if you don't love yourself first. It's the same thing with respect. Bro. Bo Sanchez shared that "Behind every sin is a cry for love". We may not get it from most people, but we owe it to ourselves.

- Be kind because everyone you meet is fighting his/her own hard battle. This, I have to keep in mind all the time. Especially whenever I feel that others are becoming too annoying and inconsiderate; they may have their reasons. It might be my turn to be understanding.

- Relationships and experiences matter. Although material possessions give temporary joy, nothing beats quality time with family and friends. It's great to spend regular bonding time with loved ones and even greater to reconnect with old friends.

- Avoid toxic people.

- Free yourself from other people's burdens. And learn to trust in their own capabilities. Believe that they too can soar on their own. But always have a helping hand, a shoulder to cry on whenever they come running for help.

- Trust God's plans. No matter how unclear they may seem at the moment. Ours is nothing compared to the greater things He has in store for us. We can never rely too much on our own strength.

- Love. Love without waiting for anything in return. Love even when it hurts. Love even when it means setting someone free, letting someone go. Love even though it requires you to love someone else. Because at the end of the day, you'd regret not the things you did but (more) the things you did not do.

As they say, it is better to live a life with "oh, well's" than a life with "what if's"

I know there is so much more to life.While I was working in the University Library, one Librarian said all the students who have worked there as Student Assistants are destined for greatness, that,  I have never forgotten. I have faith that I am destined for greatness. We all are. But we have to do our part. God wills that we become so close to Him and being near Him means eternal happiness. But it's up to us to choose the paths in order to get there. We have free will, remember?

I have high hopes. I am so looking forward to the best years. Although I am sometimes filled with fear, I know that I'll be fine as long as I trust Him fully.

"Therefore be at peace with God,
... in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy."
[Desiderata]

So, cheers to a life filled with immeasurable happiness!

24(th), I'm ready when you are! :)

0 comments: